Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Do you know who Dolores del Rio was?

Found on Pinterest

At the beginning of the summer, around father's Day, I was talking with my mother-in-law. We were talking about how long we have known each other. I had mentioned to my father-in-law that I have had him in my life longer that I had my own father who passed away almost 30 years ago! Perhaps my mother-in-law was feeling a bit left out, but I soon heard a story about how she had received her name--a story that I had never heard before!

My mother-in-law was born in 1930. Dolores Del Rio was a famous Mexican actress in the 1920s and 1930s. I had never heard of her. Dolores del Rio was my mother-in-law's mother's favorite actress in 1920s. So when she had my mother-in-law (the baby in the family), she named her baby girl Dolores!

I find it amazing that after knowing each other so long, there are still stories that I can learn! Perhaps my next step is to find an old movie of Dolores del Rio to watch one weekend. Maybe even with my mother-in-law.

Who is your favorite actress or actor from the 1920s or 1930s?

10 comments:

  1. I love this story of where a name came from! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute story and what a gorgeous woman. I always liked Claudette Colbert. (I think the era is right.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of her. Saw some of her movies actually. What a great connection to make.
    DigitalBonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always interesting to hear of the stories of our parents/inlaws. I wish that I had the opportunity to visit with my parents and re-hear all those stories. That's why I'm scrapbooking and journaling so that our stories will be readily available when our grandkids get older. I was named after Judy Garland. Interesting how we got our names.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have heard of her and I have probably seen something she was in. It is really interesting to find out the story behind one's name. How about Fay Wray? After all, she made a giant gorilla fall in love with her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great family story! There are some unique names on both sides of my family...none from movies, though. My mom's sisters were Pluma, Loray, Easter, and Irene...Mom (and me) are Verrena. My dad had brothers named Lyman, Lindsay, and Edsel (like Henry Ford's son).

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great family story! There are some unique names on both sides of my family...none from movies, though. My mom's sisters were Pluma, Loray, Easter, and Irene...Mom (and me) are Verrena. My dad had brothers named Lyman, Lindsay, and Edsel (like Henry Ford's son).

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so much fun to learn something new about our families!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just came by to say your voice has been missed at Slice of Life. Hope you come back by sometime. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting name connection for me to your story. She starred in the silent film version of the movie, Ramona. I should see if I can find it and watch it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.