Tuesday, June 24, 2014

1993-2014 That's 21 Years

It was the summer of 1993. My daughter and I had made a trip to Finland to see our relatives. It was also the time to get together with friends. Annika was one of my friends that I saw during that trip. At the end of our time in Finland, we came back to the US and a year later Annika moved to Australia.
Annika
Fast forward 21 years. "Hi Jaana! I'm at Brisbane airport. Soon flying to Sydney and then to America!" It was really happening; Annika was coming for a visit!

When I picked up Annika at the airport, we had not seen each other in 21 years! We had written letters and followed each other on Facebook, but living in different continents, we had not even visited relatives back home at the same time. But no worries, as soon as we saw each other, the years somehow just disappeared!

We have talked, and then talked some more! I learned about God's faithfulness in Annika's life. I listened her tell the story how she met her husband, and what it means to live in Australia. We shared stories; some funny and others heartbreaking. Through all of our talking, the story always connected to to God's divine attention to our lives. How he has guided and provided for both of us. Our stories showcased God's faithfulness to both is us. 

As I take Annika back to the airport later today, I am sure that our stories will continue to keep us connected. When will we see each other again? I don't know, although Annika is convinced that I need to visit her in Australia. I would not mind.

I could not have had a better beginning for my summer! 


24 comments:

  1. I would not mind a trip to Australia, either, Jaana. What a wonderful reunion for you both. I don't see my best friend from school very often, but we pick back up as soon as we're together. So glad you've had this time together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Investing in friendships is so rewarding! When friends like this visit it does not feel like it is work to entertain them.

      Delete
  2. I love friendships like this, those that can pick up wherever they left off and renew again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a good friend like this! Thanks for sharing your friendship story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great time with a dear friend. And yes, our stories really do connect us! I definitely think a trip to Australia is in order! Maybe next summer???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Story does connect us all, doesn't it? So happy for you and the reconnection you shared with Annika. It is evident how much it meant to you and how you will hold onto the memories for years to come. Until the next visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories are good. I am so grateful for the Internet to help us keep connected!

      Delete
  6. How wonderful that your friendship did not diminish over years or by distance. True friendship! I think a trip to Australia is in the cards for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to really start thinking about a trip across the ocean....it would definitely be fun!

      Delete
  7. Jaana that's such a great story of friendship that preservers over time and distance. So glad you had a chance to meet up recently. I'm smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what is special about true friendships, they can stand the test of time!

      Delete
  8. True friendships are hard to come by, but you and Annika have shown what a special bond you have and how God has worked in each of your lives. I agree with the rest, you need to plan a trip to Australia (that's on my bucket list).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, you are right. God really has played a role in keeping our friendship alive!

      Delete
  9. It is amazing how easy it is to stay in touch with technology today, but 21 years ago it wasn't easy. Kudos to you both for working to stay connected. Yes, a trip would be awesome, start saving! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsie, 21 years we actually wrote real letters!

      Delete
  10. Oh, you must visit her in Australia! Next year would be a good time. How wonderful to have stayed connected over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, don't know if a trip next year is possible, but it will definitely be on my list!

      Delete
  11. I am so happy for you. Stories connect us - that was one of the things Ruth said last week at All Write. I am learning more of that every day! I am not a big traveler but Australia is the one place I would love to see. I think you need to start planning! :) Don't wait another 21 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Leigh Anne, I need to start planning and saving! I think there are more stories to come......

      Delete
  12. It is really breathtaking when we connect with each other to see how our everyday stories are part of God's big eternal story! How the great God of the universe chooses to work in and through us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing, isn't it! That is what makes me look forward to each new day.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.