Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First Day Reflection Poem

Binders on the shelf
files--well, still a bit of a mess.
Books organized and
checkout clipboard is ready.
Smartboard is working
just need the sound.
Phone rings, but
what is my extension?


New teachers
excited and willing to learn
Veteran teachers
still excited
to welcome 
the new school year.

Blogs
wikis
weeblys
twitter
turnitin
lexia
Atlas
CCSS
DRA
NWEA
MEAP
ELPA
IEP
MME 
and lets us not forget
ACT
Just a few for all
of us to memorize and use.


Writer's notebooks are 
waiting for students
Ideas are stirring in my brain
they want to exit really fast!
What am I forgetting?
Oh yeah, syllabus is printed
and copied. 
First day survey is on the table
Rules and procedures--we
will write them together
a bit later today!

Students--can't wait to welcome you!
Whether you are new
or old
I will welcome you!
Whether you speak English or not
I will teach you.
Whether you want to be in school
or not
I will do my best to teach you.

Students--can't wait to welcome you!

13 comments:

  1. Love those acronyms, & your ending-so right. I also imagine you haven't included all that you've done to make the first day just beautiful for the students. Best wishes for a great first day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, you are busy. Yet the invitation in the end takes the tension away. The students clearly matter more than all the acronyms. have a wonderful school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terje! I hope that your year has started well also!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful way to start the year! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The acronyms are making me crazy...it would be fun to create some in workshop. I love that we will teach those that don't want to be there. You never know who you will turn the corner with, and that still excites me. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nanc,

      I had a couple of "those" students today, but I still believe that this will be a great year!

      Delete
  5. I love the teaching philosophy in the ending- welcoming to all students and a pledge to do your best for them, and feeling eager to get started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love welcoming comments as well! Thank you for contributing!

      Delete
  6. I will welcome you..what simple and meaningful words. It seems to me both a promise and a pledge. May that clear statement guide you well through your school year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish everyday could be the first day with all its anticipation and excitement. Your poetic reflection is a creative snapshot of your classroom. Best of luck for the new year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.