Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Needs, wants and wishes for the new school year

I was looking at some of my older posts, and also what other slices are thinking at this time of the year--right before of after the new school begins. I decided to write
my needs, wants and wishes for the new school year. Here it is:

I need to prioritize! It is not like I have never tried this before, but I am actually thinking that this time I need to keep my priorities for the WHOLE year!
I need to read books that inspire me as a teacher so that I can then in turn try to inspire my students. I think this might also be a want.....
I need to make sure that I get the most out of my fitbit--walking, swimming, eating right AND sleeping enough.
I need to get paperwork done in order to start a Science Olympiad Club at school this year.
I also need to get parents involved with the Science Olympiad as I don't know anything about building bottle rockets etc.
I need to guard my quiet times in order to sustain myself spiritually, and listen to what it is that God wants me to do in the midst of all the things that I feel that I should be doing.

I want to show my students what good writers and readers do--not just telling them what they should do.
I want to write stories and essays that I can use in my classroom. Maybe even a story for the younger students??
I want to have joy all year long! I want to enjoy teaching!
I want to encourage our new teachers. Maybe remind them occasionally that no matter what happened yesterday (or earlier this morning), each new day starts fresh (or each new class)!
I want to make new friends as many of my old friends have moved away
I want to get a new hobby as home feels a little quiet (daughter has moved to live closer to campus for senior year in college.....) Or could I revive an old one???
I want to spend time with God. Maybe He has some new things for me to do?

I wish to travel someplace sunny when it is so dark here in Michigan
I wish for students that want to learn and are willing to work hard (don't we all?).
I wish (and pray) for babies for those fellow teachers who struggle with longing to hold one of their own children.
I wish for wisdom to solve difficult situations
I wish for patience and linguistic ability (that would suddenly materialize in order for me to understand all the languages that my students speak).
I wish for more computers in my room, and smartboard that would work every time!
I wish for ideas to improve my blog--not sure where I am going with this....Maybe I also need to wish for clarity in my future endeavors that relate to blogging.

And for you who have read this far, I wish you a few extra blessings for today, sunshine to shine on your path and one positive surprise to brighten your day!

4 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I need to align also, "I need to guard my quiet times in order to sustain myself spiritually, and listen to what it is that God wants me to do in the midst of all the things that I feel that I should be doing.

    That listening part gets me all the time! Thanks for the reminder. Thanks for the blessing Jaana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many thought-filled parts here, & I can feel the inspiration you have for all these needs, wants & wishes. I think it's a really good way to present this to students. To present the idea for their writers notebooks for the year, & to check back now & then. Thank you for your blessing at the end, & best wishes to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      I hadn't thought to use this with my students, but after reading your comment, maybe I will. It might actually work well for beginning of the year activity for my students! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I love how you separated your post into needs, wants, and wishes. There are so many things our students NEED to do in order to succeed and so many things we NEED to do to help them get there. However, the wants and wishes are different from the needs.

    Great post!

    -Stacey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.