Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Word for 2013

I could not just come up with one word; I had to choose two--one for me as an educator and another one for just me J


IRRIGATE

As I was thinking about my life as an educator, C.S.Lewis' words really hit it home for me. "The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." So, how am I going to "irrigate" at work? I was re-reading my post that I wrote in December (you can read it here) where I talk about the challenges that I face to try to educate a new generation of students. 
Here are a few things I believe I can try this year to irrigate:

  • play with curiosity
  • teach with joy
  • be passionate about what I believe in
  • show interest (and then some more interest) in what my students find interesting
  • try something new in the classroom = be open to new ideas

GOALS

This is just for me! C.S. Lewis said, "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream another dream." Yes, I like and respect C.S. Lewis. His wisdom still touches me. And I believe goals and even dreams are going to be part of this year for me!

What are your words for the year 2013?


19 comments:

  1. I love the quote from Lewis about irrigation-so right for us, isn't it? I am looking at the word "possibilities", thinking for me & for students & teachers that they stop short of looking for all the choices (possibilities) in their lives-academic, professional or ? I guess other words that can accompany this are yours-goals & dreams. Thanks for telling about your personal ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elsie! Look forward to reading about your word for the year.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't stick with just one word either...I had five! Oh well! C.S. Lewis got it right when he said your are never to old for another goal or dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now I just need to decide what goals and dreams should take priority this year.

      Delete
  3. So many people already have thought about their one little word already. I like how you have thought it through. I hope the words will guide and support you. Hyvää uutta vuotta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great words! I love the idea of irrigating deserts related to teaching. Interesting quotes, which make me think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elsie! Can't wait to read about yours!

      Delete
  5. Both great words and great quotes to guide you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. C.S. Lewis is an inspiration. I love the word IRRIGATE. Looking forward to hearing your insights as you explore it more.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love C.S. Lewis. Irrigate is a fantastic word. It got me thinking about all sorts of water and growing connections. May it nourish you and your GOALs this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee Ann! I already had to re-define it for myself.

      Delete
  8. Best wishes for irrigation of the deserts! You can do it!
    Also, I love the CSLewis quote about never being too old to dream another dream or set another goal...
    If you believe it you can achieve it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Lewis' quote. I actually say it to myself everyday, changing it a bit and saying "we are never too old to dream new dreams." I'm also a teacher like you and yes, we do mold and form the great minds of tomorrow. Wish you the best on your word/s and may you a reap a thousandfold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blessings on your year as you seek to follow these new goals and apply these intentions.

    My word is Reclaim!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.