Sunday, March 22, 2015

Cities Where I Have Lived or Worked


A few days ago I came across a post where the author wrote about the cities where she has lived. My cities are not as exotic or as many as hers, but they do tell a story.


Helsinki, Finland--I was born on the outskirts of the capital city of Finland.  Can you believe we did not have running water or indoor plumbing for the first ten years of my life?

Siuntio, Finland--I moved to this small town (well, maybe it was actually a village) to join Youth With A Mission (YWAM). This is really where my adventure started.

Randers, Denmark--I worked here for a few months to help prepare for the 25th celebration of YWAM.

Singapore, Singapore--I was part of YWAM school here. This is also where I began my Chinese lessons, had my first taste of Roti and other Asian cuisine along with learning how to use chopsticks.

Taipei, Taiwan--My journey of learning Chinese continued in Taiwan. I spent four years here. Met my future husband here and made many lifelong friends.

Kona, Hawaii--This was a short time, but very meaningful. My husband and I attended a YWAM Discipleship Training School here. We enjoyed meeting people from all around the world (even met the King of Tonga).

Chengdu, China--Both of us ended up teaching in Chengdu for a short time. Unfortunately my husband became sick and we had to return to the states.

Frankenmuth, Michigan--This was my first place to live in the US after returning from Asia. Talk about a culture shock! I came from a city of 5 million to basically a small town. I remember asking people what is there to do in Frankenmuth (when you are not a tourist). Friends would reply to say, "There is a mall in Saginaw or Flint." Wow! Different world definitely.

Ann Arbor, Michigan--This is where I attended University and where I have worked for last 11 years. It is not Europe or Asia, but for a relatively small city it has the feel of being an international city. Here I have my favorite Syrian and Chinese restaurants. There is the small Korean diner that serves the best Bi-Bim-Bop (conveniently close to my favorite gym). Some of you might even have heard about our famous sport teams.....

What are some of the places where you have lived or traveled?

20 comments:

  1. Oh, my! Your cities are SO exotic. Mine are all in...
    Indiana, Indiana, Indiana

    My kids have much more interesting lives:
    Kentucky
    Kauai, Hawaii
    North and South Carolina
    Colorado
    California
    Oregon
    Montana
    They are gypsy children as I probably missed a few. Travel is fun as I get to visit all these places. Not so exotic, but beautiful in different ways.
    D :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! what incredible travel experiences you have had! You may not have as many as the poster who inspired you to write this, but you have a LOT more than many of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I love your perspective...that your cities aren't very exotic?!?! What?!?! I like this idea. Mine are: Springfield, MA. Boston, MA. Stratford, CT. South Orange, NJ. Ludlow, MA. Indian Orchard, MA. Enfield, CT. Leesburg, VA. Sterling, VA. Ashburn, VA. Lansdowne, VA. WOW! I have lots more cities than I thought...maybe I need to write about this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have definitely lived more places than me! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The places you have been to! I am not a traveler. The extent of my traveling has been to NCTE conferences - Atlanta, Georgia, San Francisco, California, San Antonio, Texas: Orlando, Florida. One of my favorite vacation spots, though, is New York City. I am a big Broadway fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our travel experiences definitely do tell an interesting story...what a great topic to write about.. I loved how you gave us a little snippet about each place not just a list. You've not only traveled to many exotic places but you've lived there as well...My Dad worked for an airline all my life and I still haven't been to as many places as you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny...I wrote about travel today, too! I have not lived in such exotic places as you...what a rich life you have led to be able to live and experience new and different places. Glad you have found places near you that have the kind of cuisine you enjoy! We have yet to make it to anyplace in Asia...but that is on our list. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/2015/03/pictures-from-picturesor-magical.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your introduction on TWT says, "Where have you loved or traveled." I think it would make as perfect title as "Where have you lived and traveled." Each place has its own dose of love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! You have lived in so many wonderful places around the world!
    I've heard incredible things about WYAM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an inviting topic. I love that you narrate each city. Makes me think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed reading about your travels and experiences both near and far. Mine are definitely much more mundane, but valuable nonetheless (or so I reassure myself). You must have so many stories to tell! Thanks for sharing this great idea for a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love traveling! Great slice idea!

    I'm an international teacher so I've been to quite a few places for vacations and whatnot. I will list the places I've lived longer than two months:

    1. Portland, Oregon
    2. Eugene, Oregon
    3. Yokosuka, Japan
    4. Gaeta, Italy
    5. Cotej, Azerbaijan
    6. Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mexico
    7. Beijing, China
    8. Ciudad Ojeda, Venezuela
    9. Valencia, Venezuela

    Follow along with my travels here: http://teachingwanderlust.com/travel-history/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my, it's a long list: Ashland, KY; Lawrence, IN ; Oaklandon, IN; Campbellsville, KY (2 different times); Valdosta, GA (Moody Air Force Base); Fussa and Tachikawa, Japan (Yokota Air Force Base); New Mexico (for 1 summer, traveling all around the state); Portland, OR (2 separate times); Battle Ground, WA; Fort Bragg, NC; Fort Monmouth, NJ; Fort Gordon, GA (twice); Panama City and Corozal (Fort Clayton), Panama; Augusta, GA; Lima, Peru... and back to Lawrence, IN- the place I have lived longer than any other... also briefly visited Canada, Greece, Mexico, and Chile

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your places aren't exotic? I beg to differ! I've never lived in a foreign country except when I was born and up to age one. I love to travel and visit internationally. I have lived in Illinois and Missouri. Now that's truly not exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely fun to see the places you've lived. I've lived in Oklahoma (Savanna, Tulsa, McAlester, and Stillwater,); Hong Kong; Houston, Texas; and Mercer Island, WA.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I had no idea you had such an international life. It makes my one adventure in Pittsburgh (all the rest of my years have been in Ohio) seem pitiful. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I live in the middle of cornfields - now that is exotic! I really hope we can meet in person some day! I would love to just sit and talk about your life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this idea. Your path does tell a story. It's fun to think about and reflect on the stops along our life journeys. Mine started in Miami, FL and had for the time being landed in Brooklyn, NY, but I've been so lucky to live in some wonderful places in between.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You have traveled all over! I've only ever lived in New York and Connecticut. I have traveled to many states, California, Chicago, Delaware, Maryland, Washington, Utah, Florida, the list goes on. I have only traveled to Aruba, and then Antigua for our honeymoon. My passport doesn't have many stamps. Great idea for a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! You have traveled all over! I've only ever lived in New York and Connecticut. I have traveled to many states, California, Chicago, Delaware, Maryland, Washington, Utah, Florida, the list goes on. I have only traveled to Aruba, and then Antigua for our honeymoon. My passport doesn't have many stamps. Great idea for a slice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.