Friday, March 6, 2015

What's the Matter with the Key?

The key does not go into the lock!

Seriously? I just used it to open the sorting room 15 minutes ago. Did the kids do something to the lock? Or someone else? What the heck happened?

"Kathy, can you try to open the door as I can't?"

"What?" (Looking totally perplexed and making a face that says she cannot really understand what I am saying.)

"The key does not work anymore."

"We just used a few minutes ago."
"I know, but now it does not work."

This was yesterday evening as I was working at the Friends Library Bookstore. I had just placed newly donated books into my section and was taking the cart back. No luck. The cart is still in the bookstore.

Library staff came with multiple keys. None worked. Finally it was determined that the tumbler must have broken. 
The tumbler? I needed a lesson on the construction of a lock. Internet helped.

Note was left for the right person to take care of it tomorrow. Nothing that we could do today. Or so we thought.......

The Friends Board was meeting last night as well. People started to drop by at the bookstore before moving onto the meeting room. 

"The key does not work to the sorting room."
"Really? Let me try."

"Hi Kathy and Jaana!" 
"The key does not work to the sorting room."

"Really?" (Still talking as she walks to try the key.)
"You were right, there is something wrong with lock. Probably the tumbler." (You think???)

"Hi. How are you tonight?"
"We are good except the sorting room lock is broken. Most likely the tumbler."
"Really? Let me try."

I think we have this curious faith in ourselves that we can fix almost anything--even a broken tumbler. One after the other the people came. Some tried to push the key in. Others hit the door trying to lodge something back into place again.

They came. They tried. None conquered.

10 comments:

  1. Who knew?
    I clicked on this link thinking, "I've really wanted to understand why people use Tumbler."
    And low and behold it's a completely different tumbler that you are referring to.
    Thanks for teaching me a new vocabulary word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating! I hope it gets fixed today.Thanks for the amusing mental image of a line of people each taking turns trying to fix your broken tumbler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the last line of your piece. "They came. They tried. No one conquered." Must have been frustrating. I honestly didn't know what a tumbler is. I don't think I still know...except it has something to do with a lock. Or it could be a glass. Thanks for a bit of amusement today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that feeling well. I am constantly grabbing at things to try to fix them for other people. We all think we can be the one to solve the problem. Perhaps it's our tumbler? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess we all need to show our superiority in doing what others failed to do. Bummer when it fails for us too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy - many hands did not make light work in this task. Let's hope it gets fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never heard of a tumbler either. Like Deborah said...and I still don't!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I've heard of a tumbler but could not define it for you...provide a picture...or...fix it. When I think about tumblers, I think about glasses; or, rocks. Funny story that must have been frustrating. Hope it's fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I've heard of a tumbler but could not define it for you...provide a picture...or...fix it. When I think about tumblers, I think about glasses; or, rocks. Funny story that must have been frustrating. Hope it's fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally thought you were going to discover that it just suddenly worked again, and you'd just been tired and frazzled... lol. What a surprise that it was actually broken!

    I like how you said we have a need to try & fix things -- so true!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.