Wednesday, March 11, 2015

My Love Affair with Exclamation Point

I LOVE exclamation points!!!!!

If I have ever commented on your post, I most likely used at least one exclamation point! Often I have used more than one. It is just who I am.

Just think about how many different kinds of exclamation points there are with the plethora of fonts available.

!!!! !!!! !!!   !!!!!  !!!!!  !!!!!  !!!!! !!!! !!!!! !!!! !!!!  !!!!  !!!!  !!!!!  !!!!   !!!!  !!!  !!! !!!! !!!!!

I can just pick a font that matches my mood or the topic I am writing about, and insert an exclamation point when if speaking I would use the tone of my voice to make my point or to emphasize a particular word or a phrase. 

For example:
What a great post!! I loved the metaphors that you used in your poem!!
Loved the photos!! 
I could hear the sound of waves crashing on the rocks by just reading your words!!

When leaving comments, I cannot change the font, so my only choice (besides my words) is to use punctuation marks to emphasize my point. Especially when I feel a little strange using all capital letters as some might think I am shouting at them. 

I am sure that there have been grammar and punctuation masters (~police) who have cringed at my use of exclamation point. I might not follow the rules that I studied in my Grammar Bible, but writing means taking risks, being unique, and daring to break the rules.

I feel that I don't have any kind of relationship with semicolons. I don't think we even live in the same universe. Exclamation points, however, are a different story!!!!  They are fun and easy to use!!!! Everyone understands them!!!! I feel that exclamation points tell their own story along with the one that I am telling.

!!! I have to admit I can't remember which font gave me the eyes when pressing the exclamation point key on my keypad. Looks interesting. Maybe I will use them next time I am commenting on your post !!! 

11 comments:

  1. Punctuation seems to be a very popular slice topic. BTW I love your blog font!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your love for the all-purpose exclamation point (mark)! I totally understand all of the benefits to using them well. Your post voiced it well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your love for the all-purpose exclamation point (mark)! I totally understand all of the benefits to using them well. Your post voiced it well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your love affair!!! Those exclamation points say it all. Thanks for using them on my slices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love exclamation points, too! :) Love the energy in this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny. And passionate. I just heard recently that in Finland they are thinking of minimizing the use of exclamation marks in writing because they are too strong. I hope its not true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finnish education has really gone too far if they try take away the freedom of expression my minimizing the use of exclamation mark!!!! (That required at least 4 exclamation points!!!!)

      Delete
  7. I love 'em too! Even though I caution my kids about overuse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love 'em too! Even though I caution my kids about overuse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let's hear it for the exclamation point!!!. You are finally it its due.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love exclamation points too, Jaana... to the point that I often re-read my comments and emails to see where I can change exclamation points to commas so that every sentence doesn't end with an exclamation point! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.