Monday, March 25, 2013

Unexpected Blessings


March is testing month for all the ELL students. Every student has to take a test that has four parts: listening, reading, writing and speaking. The first three are done in a group setting, but the speaking test must be administered one-on-one. I have been trying to figure out why I feel like I am drowning and going much slower than last year. I should already be done, but I am not. Why?
Then I finally realized; I am testing over 50 more students than last year!! So, if I calculate that each speaking test taking about 20 minutes, I will need about 17 more hours for testing this year!!!!!! But I don't have 17 hours! What to do?? And let's not forget that I can't just test, I also have to teach!

My phone rings:
-Hi Jaana! Are you still testing?
-of course
-do you think you could use help this week on testing?
-YES! Are you available?
-yes; I could come on Monday and Tuesday.
-wonderful! I will have the testing booklets ready for you.
-okay. see you on Monday morning.

This call came from my neighbor Linda--a retired teacher--who has helped me many times in the past with testing. She knows what to do.
Another retired teacher, Kathy, came for a few days to help me out with testing.
Sunday I talked with a fellow teacher who just promised me to help with the speaking test as well!
On Friday, another part time teacher was willing to change her hours so that she could come and help with the testing!
UPDATE: This morning another teacher offered to help with few students as well!!!

I am feeling extra blessed right now!! I have amazing people in my life! People who are willing to come and help. My stress level just went down:-) Now I get to figure out what can I do in return to bless these people who have made such a big difference in my life!

6 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for your friend's help...that is a lot of testing. TOO MUCH it sounds like....hope this era of testing slows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How marvelous to have friends like these! Good luck, Jaana...testing season is no fun at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. Accept any help that is offered. Stressed turned into blesssed. It doesn't happen often (if ever) during testing season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so nice! It's great to have people like those around to help! :) Good look with your testing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So wonderful that you have great friends to help out and that your stress level is now almost manageable. A big "thank you" and a hug are probably more than enough to repay them for their kindness. They volunteered because they care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were lucky enough to receive subs to cover some of our periods so we could do the speaking tests when we would normally be teaching. Such a lifesaver! You are lucky to have such wonderful friends to support you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.