Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Who is that obnoxious American?

Slice of Life #13
Who is that obnoxious American?
That was my first thought when I met Tom. We were in Taipei, Taiwan. He was asking my American teammates some information. He barely gave me a glance. I was totally okay with that.
A few months went by. Tom started hanging out with my friends. He started looking  more handsome. But he was still American (needless to say I wasn't). Few more months went by. Then suddenly Tom asked if I would  have dinner with him on his birthday. I didn't know what to do!!!! I did end up saying yes......
A few more months later I arrived in America for the first time. Met my future in-laws. But decided that I wanted to get married back home (no, not Taipei). By now Tom had started to look less and less as the obnoxious American that I had met in Taipei. He was sweet, caring, loving, and full of life! I think he knew that his time on this earth would not be that long. But he left a sweet baby for me to care and love when he left. That sweet baby is now a sweet college student who looks so much like her dad. And there is nothing obnoxious about her!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! This post started out as one thing and ended up totally different from what I thought. Tom sounds like a wonderful man and I'm glad you were able to spend the time you did with him. Thanks for sharing this piece of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun way to describe how you met! I love hearing those "how we met" stories. (A lot of people have been writing them lately!) I wish you would describe more about what made him seem like "that obnoxious American" -- maybe another slice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how sweet. And a little sad. Even though it was years ago, you have such a great outlook. :) I bet your daughter has been a great source of strength for you. I love your writing style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry there are so many obnoxious Americans but it sounds like you influenced Tom to make him less obnoxious. I am sorry for your loss, you have such a great outlook on life. Your daughter is a blessing to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - a 'bitter sweet' slice. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This slice moved so differently from what I expected at the start. I'm glad you and tom found each other and had time to make a life together. So clear from your slice that your memories of Tom are sweet and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jaana, I love this story. I thought you were going in one direction and then you went in another direction. The title is perfect and I wish I could read more. Sounds like Tom was a great guy and the two of you created a wonderful daughter. Thanks for sharing your "how we met" story.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your comments. Maybe there will be another slice later this month......

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.